HOW RUSH REALLY FEELS ABOUT SANDRA FLUKE

Monday, February 04, 2008

Today is the Day

I do battle with the medical/industrial complex today at 11:30 am. I will be meeting with my cardiologist, who will be making the case for a quintuple coronary artery bypass graft. He will make it sound as if he solely has my best interests in mind. What he will not discuss is the fact that not only does the surgeon and team performing the surgery have a vested interest in promoting CABG surgery as much as possible, so does the hospital in which the procedure will be performed and even my cardiologist, who may be asked to stand by if needed. Even physical therapists will benefit from me undergoing a CABG. About the only person in this whole equation who stands to lose anything if this surgery is performed is me, the patient.

Thus far, since 2004, when a cardiologist and cardio-thoracic surgeon attempted to coerce me into a quintuple CABG I didn't need, I have cost these physicians, ancillary personnel perhaps a quarter of a million dollars in lost revenue derived from the performance of a CABG on my body. Since I am still alive and kicking after I was told I would probably die of a stroke or heart attack in a few weeks or months if I didn't have the surgery, I guess I proved these medicos wrong.

In 2004 and again in 2008, I was told my heart was in great shape. My coronary arteries sucked, but the pump was in fine condition. Obviously the heart is receiving the oxygenated blood these arteries were designed to provide. My body, without the help of a huge surgical team, is creating a collateral vessel system that takes over from the damaged arteries. Common sense tells you, if you do any cutting in that area, you stand to damage the collateral vessel system. When a CABG is performed on a heart that is in great shape, that organ is irrepairably damaged. I don't think that is a good thing.

So today I will meet with my cardiologist whose job it is to coerce and frighten me into a CABG, a procedure I am adamantly opposed to receiving. CAD and its treatment are two things I have studied for four years. I do not go into this battle to maintain control of my medical treatment plan lightly. I understand what's at stake if I am wrong and realize if I am wrong, I may pay the ultimate price. However, I have been right for four years so I've got a pretty good track record.

When I return from my appointment with my cardiologist, I will add another entry to this blog.

No comments: