HOW RUSH REALLY FEELS ABOUT SANDRA FLUKE

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Still Ticking

Well, I am back in Indianapolis, ten days after finishing my EECP therapy in San Antonio. I consider the treatment to have been 95% effective in reducing the number and intensity of angina symptoms. Since returning lined eight days ago, I have had perhaps six angina events, all but one of which was self-limiting, lasting a minute or two and not requiring nitroglycerin. The one in which I used one NTG, subsided before the medication melted under my tongue.

My stamina and physical endurance are better that than they were pre-EECP therapy. I sleep better at night and have not taken naps in the day. My mobility is better. I get out of bed with much less struggling than before and most of problems I do have moving I attribute to my Parkinson's disease.

I would recommend EECP to anyone who has coronary artery disease and who do not want to undergo the traumatic and invasive surgical coronary artery bypass graft. Three years and seven months ago, I was told by a cardiologist that I was a walking time bomb. He wanted me to undergo a quintuple bypass two days later. I decided to get a second opinion and am certainly glad I did.

If anyone wants to ask questions about my EECP experience or any other aspect of my experience with angina and coronary artery disease, please leave a comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very much interested in hearing more. Based on the results of a Cardiolite Stress test and a cardio CTI which showed "significant atherosclerotic buildup in all major cardiac arteries," my cardiologist also told me I was a "walking time bomb" and reminded me of Jim Fix (the runner who died while jogging while never having had symptoms). He sais I need an immediate cardiac cath with a very high probability of inserting at least three stents and a possibility of being taken directly into the operating room for open heart surgery. I refused, much to his dismay but did agree to take 12.5 mg Toprol XL, a daily aspirin, and 20 mg of pravastatin daily. This was a year and two months ago. He has now told me not to give blood (too much stress on the heart) and has refused to give permission for me to get laser treatment on my prostate because I would need general anaesthesia which, in his opinion, is too dangerous. I am very familiar with EECP but would like you opinion of Dr. LeClerc and what you think the odds are of him prescribing it for me. Also, does insurance cover any of the cost? Any information will be appreciated.

.... said...

Chuck, I think there is a good chance Dr. LeClerc will be your cardiologist. Are you in San Antonio? He is at the South Texas Cardiology Consultants at 4330 Medical Drive.

BTW, I have not had one episode of angina since returning to Indiana and I am being weaned off of Imdur.

I also recommend you go to Amazon.com and buy Dr. Howard Wayne's three eye opening books. You will never trust a cardiologist who wants to cut you again.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jeff, I am in San Antonio and I have an appointment with Dr. LeClerc next Friday. It remains to be seen whether he will approve me for EECP, but I'm sure hoping he will. If you have any advice, I'd appreciate your e-mailing - directly to my regular e-mail if you'd like, as I don't mind. chawsey@satx.rr.com. I don't even know if my insurance will cover EECP.